Hooray for National Coloring Book Day
JuLY 14TH, 2022
On August 2nd, we celebrate National Coloring Book Day! National Coloring Book Day is a special day that celebrates one of America's favorite pastimes—coloring! For children and adults, coloring can be a fun and relaxing way to spend time. Let's dig in and discuss everything you need to know about National Coloring Book Day, the history of coloring along with some fun facts. So, grab your daughter, her favorite coloring book and some crayons and get ready to celebrate!
What is National Coloring Book Day?
National Coloring Book Day was created in 2015 by Dover Publications. The goal of this holiday is to promote the benefits of coloring and to encourage people of all ages to pick up a coloring book and crayons. It is a great way to celebrate the artists that produce coloring books as well as all the benefits and fun that coloring has to offer.
The History of Coloring
Coloring is a pastime that has been around for centuries. The earliest known variation on a coloring book is thought to be the illustrations in the Poem Poly-Olbion by Michael Drayton in the early 1600s. The poem featured black and white illustrations of maps of the counties of England which became trendy for people to color in themselves. As the years passed coloring became increasingly popular; in the 1790s a new printing press process called lithography was introduced, making it easier and more cost effective to reproduce illustrations. "This increased the general population’s access to printed books, and encouraged the early rise of coloring books in the second half of the 19th century." The coloring book, a book with black and white pages specifically meant to be colored in, was created by the McLoughlin Brothers in the 1880s when they produced The Little Folks' Painting Book, in collaboration with Kate Greenaway. The popularity of this creative form of art continues among children and adults today.
How to Celebrate National Coloring Book Day
- Break out her favorite coloring book and some crayons or colored pencils and spend the day relaxing and enjoying the simple pleasure of coloring together.
- Get your favorite little girl some new coloring books, turn on some music and invite some of her friends over for a coloring party! The kids will love spending time together doing this creative activity and it will promote good conversation and bonding while they color.
- If you don't have any coloring books on hand, no problem! There are plenty of free printables available online in every type of theme imaginable. Print out whatever appeals to you and your daughter and make your own coloring books that you can enjoy together!
Fun Facts About Coloring
- Coloring can be a great way to promote relaxation – when you color, you are focused on the activity at hand and not thinking about other things that may be causing stress or anxiety.
- It can help improve creative thinking and problem-solving skills. Coloring requires you to think about colors that will look good together and how to achieve the desired effect.
- Improves hand-eye coordination! Coloring requires the use of both hands to hold the crayon and the paper to color in the lines.
- Coloring is a great activity to do with friends or family members as it promotes conversation and interaction.
- Coloring is not just for kids! It can be a great way for adults to relax and de-stress as well.
National Coloring Book Day Dates
Coloring is a great activity for all ages and National Coloring Book Day is the perfect opportunity to break out the crayons and coloring books and get creative! Whether you spend the day inside coloring with your daughter or plan a coloring party with your relatives and friends, you'll have a wonderful time celebrating this fun and creative holiday.